Video Poker
Deuces Wild and Joker Poker

More than $1,000 in casino coupons!
As Featured On EzineArticles

Video Poker (VP) has two popular variants called Deuces Wild and Joker Poker. They're related to the Jacks or Better games in that the poker hand rankings and payouts are displayed for each winning hand for the minimum through maximum credits wagered. Because of the 4,000 credit payout for a Royal Flush, it’s prudent to wager the maximum number of credits allowed whenever you play any version of VP.

Video Poker with Deuces Wild

The four deuces (two’s) are wild, which means you can substitute the deuce to complete any winning hand. For example if you have three aces and a deuce in your hand, you have four aces. Unlike Jacks or better where a pair of jacks nets you a push, the smallest winning hand in deuces is three of a kind. There are about eight variations of deuces. The common pay table listed below has a return of about 98.7% which leaves the house edge at 1.3%

Hand                 One Coin    Five Coins

Three of a Kind          1                      5

Straight                       2                     10

Flush                           3                     15

Full House                   4                     20

Four of a Kind              4                     20

Straight Flush               9                    45 

Five of a Kind               15                  75

Wild Royal Flush          25                  125  

Four Deuces                 200               1000

Natural Royal Flush      250                4000

Simple Strategy

Keep any completed winning hand initially dealt unless you have more than 2 deuces or you are one card away from a straight flush or higher.

One or more deuces initially dealt should always be kept.

 Video Poker with the Joker

Another popular video poker variant is called Joker Poker. It’s related to the Jacks or Better games in that the poker hand rankings and payouts are displayed for each winning hand for the minimum through maximum credits wagered. All winning hands double per each credit bet. A natural Royal Flush pays 4,000 with maximum of 5 credits played. Thus, it’s prudent to wager the maximum number of credits whenever you play any version of VP.

The deck contains 53 cards including one Joker, which is wild. You can substitute the joker to complete any winning hand. For example if you have three aces and a joker in your hand, you have four aces. Unlike Jacks or Better where a pair of jacks nets you a push, the smallest winning hand in JP is a pair of kings. There are some variations of JP between casinos. The common pay table listed below has a return of about 98.6% which leaves the house edge at 1.4%.

Hand                 One Coin    Five Coins

Kings or Better           1                      5

Two Pair                      1                     5

Three of a Kind            2                   10

Straight                        3                   15

Flush                            5                    25

Full House                    7                    35 

Four of a Kind              18                  90

Straight Flush               50                 250  

Royal Flush with Joker  100              500

Natural royal Flush         800             4000

Simple Strategy


Keep any completed winning hand initially dealt with or without the joker.

Keep a natural Four of a Kind and discard the fifth card in hopes of being dealt the joker to complete a Five of a Kind for a much larger payout.

Keep three or four cards dealt to a Royal, Straight Flush, Flush, or Straight.

You can practice many varieties of VP for free at www.videopoker.com.

Additional publications and videos about VP, casino gaming and other products can be found on Amazon. Direct link from this page to purchase.

Return to Video Poker

Return to Home Page

Online Game Predictions